How you holding up out there?
I know, it’s supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year.
But let’s be real: the holidays can dredge up pain, flare up tempers, magnify loss, and drown us in overwhelmed fatigue.
I hope sincerely that is not you! I hope you’re that person harmonising with Bing Crosby while adding touches of tinsel to any last neglected corner!
But on the off chance that some part of your holiday season tends more toward grim than glittering, two reminders:
During the holidays, if at no other time, take good care of yourself!
- Drink plenty of water! (Yes, coffee may be needed, and vodka considered, but add the water in too. Really.)
- Exercise. “WHAT?!?!”, you say, “Has the girl gone mad?!?” I’m not talking about an hour of powerlifting. Stretch decadently for 5 minutes, stroll aimlessly for 10. Dance through White Christmas. (Or White Wedding, if like me, you’re already far beyond your carol endurance.) Just anything to move your body. It heals your mind.
- Be REAL. About who you are, what you like and don’t like, and how much you can handle just now.
- AND about what you can afford to spend! Debt never lightened anyone’s heart.
- Say no if you need to! (It’s absolutely fine.)
- Do one less thing. (If you find that works for you, do it again!)
- Or perhaps do one MORE thing, but only something that feels like a glorious escape for your soul. (And cancel something draining to make the time! Repeat as needed.)
- Cut yourself a lot of slack.
- Cut other folks some slack too, if you can manage it. Perfect people don’t happen, and requiring them just ups your cortisol.
- Avoid people and things that drain the life out of you. (Yeah, even if they are relatives.)
- Pause, meditate, pray – whatever looks like peace to you – once a day. Even if it’s just 3 minutes.
If you need more support than you have, during this season, PLEASE reach out for it! Here are a few options.
And if you’ve already hit crisis level, darlin’ this is SO not the time for stoic endurance! Save that for late spring or something. Here are some more immediate options.
AND we are not in this alone: